uu Program Featured on The President’s White House Website
One of urban university’s highlighted training collaborations includes the PowerPathway Program for Veterans, a workforce development initiative developed by Growth Sector. urban university was the candidate selection and wrap-around services partner for this initiative, that trained a total of 100 veterans with the skills they needed to succeed as utility workers for Pacific Gas & Electric. PowerPathways graduate, Erick, was featured on The White House’s website to promote urban and economic mobility. Learn more about Erick’s story here.
2013 Oakland Youth-Friendly Business Award
Since 2009, uu has provided internships to more than 40 youth from East and West Oakland neighborhoods, in collaboration with the Oakland Youth Employment Program. In April 2013, in recognition of uu’s social impact, uu was awarded the “Non-Profit-of the Year Award,” by the Oakland Youth-Friendly Business Network. uu is also the recipient of a Recognition Certificate by District 16 Assemblymember Joan Buchanan and the Inner City Advisors.
IN THE NEWS:
- East Bay Express: “From Personal Struggle, A Higher Purpose”
- SF Gate: “Deep racial divide in Oakland schools’ attendance rates”
- Daily Breeze: “California community college’s may soon offer bachelor’s degrees”
- Center for American Progress: “Asset Limits Are a Barrier to Economic Security and Mobility”
- Center for American Progress: “3 Reasons Subsidized Jobs Should Be Part of an Economic Mobility Agenda”